Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Victim #1. Let the arrows fly

OK, I warned that this blog would be controversial. I said I wasn't going after the easy stuff. I won't be the least bit surprise if my reputation goes down even lower than the sad depths it already wallows in, but I call em like I see em.

So without further ado, I present, Victim #1. Analog summing boxes









Oh, I can feel the heat now. Attacking this sacred, holy grail. But so be it. Living at the intersection of the Mojave and Sonoran Deserts, heat is what I like!

When it comes to really evaluating audio, there are a few actual, meaningful measurements we can make. We can measure frequency response. We can measure distortion. We can measure noise. We can measure dynamic range, not just in signal to noise, but in signal to error, depending if we are looking at analog and/or digital.

Let's look at that evil digital summing.

Frequency response? Once the signal is digitized, unless you intentionally filter it, the frequency response here is going to be unity gain across its entire domain. Of course it'll be down a bit near the edges near nyquist, when it goes out the D/A, but nothing is going to happen to it in the DAW unless you want it to.

Distortion? Not unless you go over 0dBFS (and technically, not necessarily even if you DO go over)

Noise? Not unless you add it.

Signal to Error ratio? At 64 bit float, or even 32 bit or whatever some of the DAWs are using, who cares? And with today's levels squashed so hard that 8 bits would sound just fine, what are we worried about?

So just what is it we're trying to achieve with an analog summing box?

That Vintage Magic

You know, that unquantifiable, something that does something to your signal. To tell the truth, there are PLENTY of devices and functions we use that either add distortion or change the frequency response, or limit the dynamic range. For a point in the summing boxes' favor, we don't always WANT transparency.

But what do they claim?


"• Incredible Imaging
• More Punch and Detail
• Unbelievable Headroom "

If anyone can link me to the now famous post by Nika Aldrich about the claims regarding noise a few years ago, I'd love to post the points here, but even these three are enough to go on.

Incredible Imaging...so in my DAW when I pan something it doesn't actually go where I pointed it? Or does this mean something else?

More punch and detail..."punch"? In today's square wave, white noise approximated hypercompressed brick mixes? Ummm, OK. "Detail"? What do we use to measure that?

Unbelievable Headroom? You're right, I don't believe its going to give more dynamic range than 64 bit float.

Lets be honest, if there is ANYTHING these boxes are going to do sonically, its distort. A DAW is inherently WYSIWYG or it's broken. If this box does anything, its breaking the signal. Maybe its breaking it in a pleasing way, I'm not ruling it out, but let's not pretend that something can be more accurate than 100% accurate.

Let's go applying our earlier rule to these devices:

"If only I had used an analog summing box, this song would have been a hit"

Are you serious?

Far be it from me to paint an entirely negative picture, I'd like to give an example of one GIANT benefit these boxes will have for some people in some situations. Some of these analog summing units make it very easy to patch in and insert a piece of hardware gear. Your favorite compressor or EQ or whatever. Traditionally, DAWs have made this process a PITA, but some responsive DAW coders are even changing that. Still, in the case of these summing units, it is one less AD/DA when using the insert, so there's another point.

To summarize, I'd like to say, that these boxes may have their uses. But as the deciding factor in a mix? Not hardly. As something a "sales engineer" should be pushing on a noob? Hell no!

Maybe this device is right for you, but think before you spend, and you won't get Jacked.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think that the distortion/coloration/compression added by these boxes in the amplification stage is what people like to hear.

pipelineaudio said...

I think you are right in some cases. Some do. Others say they do but couldn't tell on an ABX test which is which. Some know they can't tell but err on the "safe side" and buy them anyway.

Sprinkled liberally among the spectrum are the ones I'm most worried about, the ones who buy because "it's the thing to do"

Recording Review said...

More punch and detail..."punch"? In today's square wave, white noise approximated hypercompressed brick mixes? Ummm, OK. "Detail"? What do we use to measure that?
Great question. I suspect it is possible, even with modern compression and limiting. No doubt about it, Nickelback's "Something In Your Mouth" hits harder than any mix I've done and I'd guess it's way louder too. There is something to it. I'm not necessarily convinced it's the summing box, but maybe there is way to measure "apparent impact".


Lets be honest, if there is ANYTHING these boxes are going to do sonically, its distort. A DAW is inherently WYSIWYG or it's broken. If this box does anything, its breaking the signal. Maybe its breaking it in a pleasing way, I'm not ruling it out, but let's not pretend that something can be more accurate than 100% accurate.

There is another side to this. While I'm convinced the algorithms used with in the box mixing are exceptionally good...good enough for any production that isn't going to sell 3 million records and (apparently good enough for those too) it still boils down to math. I wish I knew more of the exact process. I guess I'm saying that while I have no plans for a summing box purchase, maybe some take the view that the algorithm in recording software is flawed.

The real world results should support this. I'm not convinced they do.

Anonymous said...

The one hidden gem about units like this only emerge when you compare em to a real console. The passive ones especially have very low noise levels and since theres no caps, no psu to screw up the snr and all that, you have a relatively pure signal path throughout the summing unit. You def need an active stage to make up gain, but if its a good one then it will be better noise wise than what some of the mid grade and in some cases pro grade mixers provide you with. As far as the marketing claims, hogwash. A mixer is a mixer, is a mixer. I have alot of outboard, I would rather buss out my tracks via multiple da and patch in my hardware that way. I agree man, those ads insult our intelligence and make it hard for the guys who really are designing the better offerings to get their voices heard.